Sunday, December 13, 2009

Self-promotion

Since I finished my NaNo draft, I have been spending my writing time refining pitches and query letters for some of my stories. I hate writing what I think of as "look at me" blurbs. All I want to do is to write stories. I don't want to beg people to read them.

However, I believe that often the tasks in life I resist the most are the the things I need to work on. Self-promotion is very difficult for me. I like to hole up in my little writing nook and crank out stories. I don't like to call attention to myself. The corollary to that is: I need to learn to promote myself because, Lord knows, nobody else will do it! That requires calling attention to myself. That makes me uncomfortable and I hate it. Nevertheless, I have to try my best to stumble upon a way to promote my work that works for me.

Right now, I have queries out to agents for three different novels. I'm not holding my breath, but every query (even a rejected one) is a step in the right direction.

And, when I reach the point I'm satisfied nobody is interested in publishing my stories in the standard way, I'll self publish them and they'll be available in the off chance somebody happens upon them.

Either way, the goal for me is to write the best story I can and then toss it "out there" in the hope that someone comes along who might want to read it.

Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment