Sunday, February 7, 2010

New WIP: After the Fire

Recently I read somewhere that it's not a bad idea to write your pitch before you write the novel. That struck me as a brilliant idea, so I wrote a pitch at the most preliminary planning stages of my new story. I'm still outlining and creating characters, but here's the crux of my pitch (at least for now):

When a suspicious fire destroys a local restaurant killing more than three dozen people, including two entire families attending a wedding rehearsal dinner, insurance adjuster, Bev Deller, arrives on the scene right behind the fire truck. First, she helps the firefighters pull survivors from the smoldering building, and then she seeks answers.
Who set the fire? Why?

In the aftermath of the tragedy, the horrified community looks to Bev and the fire chief for answers as it mourns its dead -- and looks for someone to blame.
I am enjoying the thrill of drafting this one now.

Meredith

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of doing this, writing the pitch first, but what a great way to start, with the story formulated like this. It's almost like a basic outline you can work from. Great premise, I'd like to know more about Bev and her story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be interesting to see if the final story turns out to bear any resemblance to the original idea! (Few of my other stories have, but it'll be fun to see what happens.)

    ReplyDelete