Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Book Review: "In Her Shoes" by Jennifer Weiner

This was not a book I would have selected on my own.  My daughter bought it and left it here when she went away to school. She told me she could not get into it and had not finished it.  One day I found myself without any new books to read, so I picked it up. (I'll read anything in a pinch!)

The opening scene turned me off.  Drunken sex with a stranger in a bathroom stall is not something that would ordinarily draw me into a story.  The scene was disgusting and I would probably have quit reading at that point had I had any other unread books in the house besides the Twilight series which Daughter Dear did read (and loved).  I'm not into vampires and werewolves, so I decided to stick with Weiner for another chapter.

Once Rose was introduced I was hooked.  Fat, smart, socially inept Rose is me, only with more money and a shoe addiction.  The love-hate dynamics between the sisters was fascinating and painful.  I loved the grandmother!

It is a terribly painful story about abandonment, loss, grief and family dysfunction, but the underlying message about the redeeming power of love and forgiveness is totally my cup of tea.

Even better, I really liked Weiner's breezy but crisp Voice.  I will probably pick up another one of her books at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment