Sunday, February 6, 2011

Update on projects

I decided to sit out ABNA this year.  I have a couple of novels that I thought might be good candidates, but I am in the throes of drafting a love story, and I didn't want to take the time out to prepare a project for ABNA.  I love the concept of ABNA.  Frankly, I hope that someday events like ABNA and sites like Authonomy will become the way books that do get published in print are discovered.

In the meantime, my creative juices are at flood stage, and I need to go with the flow.  I recently had a 20,000 word week!

I'm beginning to see a bit of pattern for my writing life.  I am very productive from January through April or May. It's cold in the winter and the days are still short in the spring.  I write prolifically during this time. Summer is play time for me! I spend every spare moment walking the beach and worshiping the sun, thinking up story ideas. I get serious about writing again in the fall when the days begin to grow shorter, the time changes and it's too chilly to play at the beach. I like to take time off from Thanksgiving until the New Year when my day job is at its busiest.

I can draft one novel in the spring (January/February) and one in the fall (NaNoWriMo).  The rest of the year is editing time.

That strikes me as a very good annual rhythm. If I can draft two and edit two novels a year,  I'll feel good about my life as a writer, whether I sell many copies or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment