Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Falling in Love Again

From time to time, Real Life interrupts my Writing Life, demanding my full attention and preventing me from spending as much time as I would like with imaginary people and made-up stories. I hate when that happens.

But, as much as I wish it were otherwise, I do have to function at least at some base level in the Real World. I have to make a living.  I have to attend to the necessary chores of housekeeping.  I have to be a good citizen of my community. Once in a while I actually have social engagements. Occasionally those duties distract me from writing fiction.

When that happens, I become anxious and even more neurotic than usual, but I have learned to put my head down, do the necessary to deal with what must be done, in order to get back to "the good stuff"  --  writing stories.

I don't like to be side-tracked from my animating passion, but periods of abstinence from writing have one beneficial side effect: when they are over, they allow me to become a writer again. (In the words of the beautiful Jewish prayer: "to begin again in love.") After a period of dealing with some "real" issues of my own during the first quarter of this year, I have come back to writing fiction with renewed enthusiasm for the process.

While I was side-tracked from writing any new content, I did manage to do some editing.  I published Hell In Texas on Smashwords.  I did a second and third draft of Second Chances. That now has to rest a while before I can do the final edits before publishing it, hopefully over the summer.

Now, I'm ready to start a new project. I am so excited!  I love embarking on a new story. I can't wait to meet the characters and to enjoy pondering the endless possibilities for plot and setting.  Every time I start a new project it is as though I am falling in love with the process of writing all over again. I can barely wait to get started.

No more distractions!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your Smashwords pub! You should have a link up here on the sidebar with a cover image so we can get to it easily if we want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete