Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Book Review: "Smash Cut" by Sandra Brown

This is one of those fast-paced thrillers that I think of as "airplane books"..... not to be confused with beach reading. Beach reading is trashy, sexy and/or humorous. Beach books are the kind of books that allow for a million interruptions, without destroying the experience of the book.  Airplane books are thrillers/suspense/mystery novels that engage the my attention so intently I can ignore the horrible experience of flying: the noise, the inconvenience, the cranky passengers and inane announcements from the crew. An airplane book is an edge-of-your-seat, stay-up-all-night-until-you-finish-the-book that you don't remember the characters or the plot the next morning. All you remember is that it was fun.

This is definitely an airplane novel! I couldn't put it down.  It was interesting and suspenseful, but by the time I got around to writing this review, I had to go back and review the ending to remind myself of how it came out.

I like books like this. They totally remove me from my life and take me to some new (and often scary) place. At the end, I return to every day life, with no new insights into humanity, but having had a swell time.

I would definitely read other novels by this author.  I will definitely not re-read this one. (Airplane books are: read 'em once and then move on books.)

No comments:

Post a Comment