Sunday, August 5, 2012

More Synchronicity

Do you remember my post s couple of weeks ago about my obsession with planning?  Well, as I mentioned in the post, planning for me is a kind rehearsal of options for responses to the kinds of crazy things life throws at me. I said I thought that was helpful to me as a writer.

Shortly thereafter, I read this post on Writer Unboxed about how the human brain is hardwired to respond to Story. Lisa Cron's cred to write on the subject is way better than mine. She provides scientific backup for my empirical impressions that planning and imagining potential outcomes for various scenarios are part of the human survival mechanism. This article is consistent with my experience that imagining "what if" helps me cope with obstacles life throws at me.

It's also how stories are born.  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment