Thursday, October 1, 2009

On the Sacredness of Writing

I wasn't going to write about spirituality here! This blog was supposed to be about promoting my novels. I thought I had left writing on religion and spirituality in my past. Frankly, I wanted to leave all that behind because it would have been simpler to walk away from religion and spirituality than to try to bring them with me into this strange new world of writing and publishing and trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do next.

However, this week over at Rules to Live By Sylvia Dickey Smith plucked a chord in my soul that won't stop vibrating. I may be writing under a pen name (which evidently I have been trying to hide behind), but my writing still arises from the same wellspring of praise and thanksgiving that it always has. The external manner in which I live my life has changed, but my internal experience of The Holy has changed very little since my early childhood. My fiction is not overtly religious, but it arises out of the deepest part of me: that Holy Place where my soul is fed by Spirit.

My blogging has been uninteresting and lifeless lately because I was leaving out the stuff that gives my writing life. Blogging was becoming a chore and a bore. When I feel that way about something I am doing, I know I'm on the wrong track.

Therefore, starting now, I resolve to honestly address the spiritual component of my writing, when it seems appropriate. I don't intend to turn this blog into a theological blog or a Spiritual Journey blog. It will still be a blog for the purpose of writing about my writing, and promoting my stories. But it will no longer ignore the most significant source of my creativity, and the main reason I write in the first place.

I will say this before my friends beat me to it: WELL, DUH!

Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment