Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Book Review: "Last Night at Chateau Marmont" By Lauren Weisberger

I liked this book much more than The Devil Wears Prada  (which, frankly, I didn't like very much, to be honest). This one has all the elements that will make for another terrific movie, but in this story the main characters are more sympathetic than in Devil. It's got the wicked rich bitch mother-in-law and the evil, scheming agent. It also has the glam of the rockstar lifestyle to lend an air of fantasy.  That was fun in a kind of voyeuristic kind of way, and it will be great in the movie.  I'd like to see Helen Mirren play the mother in law.
The conflict of love vs. work is so universal, anybody who might happen to pick up this book could relate at some level. It addresses all the things that can kill a marriage: pride, ambition, stubbornness, fear, outside interference, family dynamics. It makes for an interesting -- if painful -- journey through a marital crisis of a couple of very nice kids.  
I enjoyed it.  
I'll stop now because I hate reviews with spoilers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment