Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Book Review: Breaking TWIG by Deborah Epperson

This was a Grand Slam "blow me away" book!  The subject matter could have been too painful to read except that the writer's voice was so compelling, I had to keep reading. I believed from the beginning that somehow Becky would triumph over the many obstacles the author threw at her. (Cruel, mean author!)

I know several people who have had abusive parents like Helen. And I know a couple of women who were victims of horrible rapes. This novel nails both, at least based on the stories I have heard from people who have experienced one or both of those experiences.

Becky is a fascinating protagonist, maybe not quite as fabulous as Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird -- but close.

The novel totally nails the Southern small town world where everybody knows everybody else's  secrets, but pretends not to, even when intervening would be the kind thing to do.

Please, buy it here on Amazon. The author's blog is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment