Sunday, April 15, 2012

Writing Strong Men

As my last few Reflections have indicated, I've been reconsidering my platform and my target audience. I have always focused on the fact that I write about strong women for a primarily female audience. My main characters are usually strong women.

It dawned on me recently that I also write about strong men. It takes a strong man to love a strong women. In a good relationship, each of them is stronger for their mutual love and support -- and my characters tend to have good relationships.

My male characters are all over the map in terms of professions and backgrounds. With the exception of Spoleto, which includes gay and bi-sexual male characters, my male characters are all heterosexual and very masculine. Most of them are veterans. All of them are tough in various respects. They don't take any crap from anyone -- including their womenfolk (who don't take crap from them, either).  They are respectful of women and children, but they demand respect in return.

I like men. In fact, in many ways, I have always related more to men than to a lot of women. (I understand that is not uncommon for the oldest girl in a family with no sons.) I like the way traditional "manly" men interact with one another and with women. They pull no punches: they'll hit you directly in the face instead of stabbing you in the back. I like the fact that you always know where you stand with a man like that.  When they don't like you you know it, and you'd do well to steer clear. But, when they love you, they can make your toes tingle.

The bottom line is I write about the kind of woman I'd like to be and the kind of men I'd like to be with.

So, I guess basically  I'm fantasizing in public.  Should I be embarrassed?

No comments:

Post a Comment